Our History

First Congregational was founded over 150 years ago by people who believed that slavery was wrong, that women could preach and that Christians could change the world through the power of God's love.   Known during the Civil War era as Strangers Congregational Church, a place where strangers and those adrift in a strange land of Protestant fundamentalism could find sanctuary, the congregation changed its name to First Congregational in 1909.  We were located first in the "downtown" area of the city, relocated to Central Gardens, and then, in 2001, moved to the Cooper-Young neighborhood.